Are The American Dental Institute’s (ADI) courses accepted for continuing education for my profession in my state?
Click on the View My State Requirements page for a list of our accreditations and course approvals.
How many contact hours does my state require to renew my license?
Contact hour requirements vary from state to state. Click on the Accreditations/Hours link for a list of hours required by state and profession. Continuing Education requirements change from time to time. We recommend that you contact your state licensing board for the most current information
Do the individual state packages offer all the mandatory courses I need?
Your state packages include the total hours you are allowed to take through home study. If you are unsure of your state’s requirement, check with your dental board.
I need my course ASAP. How can I receive my order faster?
You can order the course and access it in online format immediately after your order is processed. If you prefer to receive the course in book format, it can be sent to you via overnight delivery for an additional charge. Click on the Shipping Info link for additional options
In what format(s) are courses available?
All courses are available in book format and online format. All course exams may be taken online. If you prefer to receive a copy of your course book(s) by mail, you must indicate so during the check out process. (Shipping and handling charges will apply.)
A) Online format (Online Course) Once your order has been processed, this format allows you to immediately access and download the course book from our website onto your computer. You also have the ability to print out the course book. You read the course book and post your responses to the multiple-choice exam questions and the course evaluation questions right online. Completed work can be saved as you go along! This format provides the convenience of instant online grading and allows you to print your own certificate immediately upon successful completion of the course. (This is a great format for someone who is in a hurry, wants instant grading and their certificate quickly, and/or simply enjoys working on a computer.)
B) Book format (Mail Order Course) If you request that your course book(s) be sent by mail, you receive a course book, an answer sheet, and a grading/answer instruction sheet through the mail. You read the course book and fill in your responses to the multiple-choice exam questions and the course evaluation questions directly onto the answer sheet. You then mail the answer sheet to The American Dental Institute for grading. Alternatively, you may also access your account on our website and take the exam online for instant grading and access to your certificate. Upon successful completion of the course, a certificate will be mailed to you. The book is yours to keep for your reference library. (This is a great format for someone who loves to curl up to a good book, or likes having the course book as a reference to refer to in the future.)
I already purchased a course in book format but now I want to take my exam online. How can I do that?
All courses, whether purchased as online format or book format, provide the online exam option. Log on to My Account to take your exam online. Why do you need my license number? I don’t like to give it out. Most states require that your professional license number appear on your certificate of completion. We respect your privacy and have many security measures in place to protect your personal information. I am licensed in more than one state. Can I receive multiple certificates? We would be happy to send you multiple certificates for the completed courses, free of charge, provided that you supply us with all license numbers needed for the certificates at the time that you enroll in your course(s) or prior to the exam being graded. All license information must be submitted with the completed answer sheets prior to grading. There will be an extra charge for any additional certificates provided for licenses that you supply to us after your exam is graded.
Why do you need my license number? I don’t like to give it out.
Most states require that your professional license number appear on your certificate of completion. We respect your privacy and have many security measures in place to protect your personal information.
I am licensed in more than one state. Can I receive multiple certificates?
We would be happy to send you multiple certificates for the completed courses, free of charge, provided that you supply us with all license numbers needed for the certificates at the time that you enroll in your course(s) or prior to the exam being graded. All license information must be submitted with the completed answer sheets prior to grading. There will be an extra charge for any additional certificates provided for licenses that you supply to us after your exam is graded.
You may print your certificate at any time and as often as you like from your My Courses page, free of charge. For Book Format: For a nominal charge, ADI will mail you a duplicate copy of your certificate. If you need to receive the certificate by fax or express courier, rush charges will apply. Email or call Customer Service (1-800-654-7134) for additional information.
Remember to retain all certificates for your records, in accordance with your state board’s specifications.
Can ADI forward my certificate to my state licensing board?
Unless requested by your board, ADI does not submit certificates directly to the board. It is your responsibility to provide a copy of your certificate to the board, when necessary. All certificates should be retained for your records, in accordance with your state board’s specifications.
I am a member of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD). Will you report my course completion records directly to the AGD?
ADI submits an AGD member roster on a monthly basis. To ensure your records are included on the roster, you must provide your AGD member number as a license number, and identify it as an AGD number.
What is your return policy?
If any course does not meet your expectations, you may return it within 30 days from the date of purchase for a full refund or exchange (less shipping, processing and rush charges). All items must be in their original condition (books unmarked). You may not return materials for any course for which you have already received continuing education credit.
Once my exam is mailed in, how long will it take to receive my certificate of completion?
Once we receive your exam answer sheet at ADI, we will grade it and, upon successful completion, your certificate will be mailed within 3 business days. Allow 2 weeks from the date that we receive your exam answer sheet to receive your certificate. If you fax your exam answer sheet to us at 1-800-336-5995, you can expect to receive your certificate in the mail in 10 business days. Remember to print out and retain a confirmation of the successful fax transmission.
I need my certificate in less than a week! Do you offer rush service?
If you are taking an online course, you can print your certificate immediately upon completion of the course. For courses in book format, there are two options for rush grading and delivery of your certificate: fax service or courier service. Payment must accompany rush grading requests in order to be processed. We offer rush Fax Service and Courier Service on business days (Monday through Friday) for an additional charge. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Diner’s Club, and American Express. Please send your exam, with the completed Rush Grading request form, along with your credit card number and expiration date, and signature, via RUSH FAX to 1-800-336-5995. Remember to print out and retain a confirmation of your successful fax transmission. Click here for additional information on Rush Services.
I mailed my exam answer sheet to you by the end of the month and my certificate is dated the first of the month. Can you change the completion date on my certificate?
We date the certificates with the date on which we receive the exam. This is true for both mailed and faxed exams. To change the date of a certificate, without proof (i.e. a signed certified mail receipt or a fax confirmation) that it had been received by us earlier, would jeopardize our accreditation. To ensure that your certificate has the proper date, allow at least 10 business days for your exam answer sheet to reach us via regular mail (remember we do not receive mail on Saturday or Sunday) or fax it (and print out and retain a confirmation of the successful fax transmission).
I completed my course online at 10:00pm PST but my certificate is dated with the next day, what happened?
American Dental Institute’s computer systems are set for Eastern Standard Time (EST). Based on this time setting, certificates are dated with the date that you graded your exam online, regardless of when you print out your certificate.
Will ADI make special accommodations for customers with disabilities who are interested in taking a course?
ADI strives to ensure that all of its programs and services are accessible to people with disabilities, in accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Please contact our customer service department at 1-800-654-7134 if your disability requires that special arrangements be made in order for you to take our courses.
I’ve just logged on to the site and it wants me to register. I’ve already registered!! What’s wrong?
Our site stores your registration information in a small text file on your computer. This file is called a cookie. Cookies must be turned on in your browser for our site to recognize you when you return. If you do not allow cookies, you will be asked to register each time you visit. To enable cookies in Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options. On the Privacy tab, move the slider to Medium.
I can’t download my course or, when I do, it comes out as gibberish. What could be wrong?
The problem could be one of three things:
1. You don’t have Adobe Acrobat Reader loaded and set up on your computer. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed to open the course PDF (portable document format) files. The program is free from Adobe, and there are step-by-step instructions on how to complete the download under the Acrobat Instructions link found at the top of most Informational pages of our website. Make sure you double-click to install the program.
2. You may have an older version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Again, try the download explained above.
3. The links to the chapter downloads aren’t working properly. You will need to e-mail the webmaster. She can fix the broken links.
My certificate won’t print, and when it does it looks funny! How can I fix this?
This is probably due to the page setup of your printer. Try this: With the certificate window still open, make the margins smaller. This can be done by clicking File, then Page Setup, on the top menu bar of your browser. You may also need to check the page effects under the printer’s properties. Find the “print to fit” option.
My certificate crashed in the middle of printing! What should I do?
Either your computer, the printer or the site has crashed. Try printing again. If no results, E-mail customer service and a certificate will be generated.
How can I print the downloaded course text?
If the little print icon in the Adobe Acrobat Reader doesn’t work or isn’t there (it should be on the left just above the text), you have two options:
With the download window open:
1. Click on the word ‘File’ on the top Menu bar.
2. Then Click on ‘Page Setup’.
3. A window will open up showing a little picture of the page, along with paper size and paper source. The margins are at the bottom. I suggest changing all of them to: .166″.
4. Click on the button at the bottom of this window that says ‘Printer’. Another window will open.
5. Click on the button to the right that says ‘Properties’.
6. There will be a bunch of “tabs” at the top. Click on the one that reads ‘Effects’.
7. In the box at the bottom under the word Zoom Smart, click the box next to‘Print Document On’ and print the box next to ‘’Scale to Fit’. Be sure that the box in between is set for ‘Letter’. (If you don’t have a tab that reads ‘Effects’, look for an option for “print to fit” or “fit to page” under the printer properties.
8. Click OK or APPLY on all of the windows.
9. Click on ‘File’ up at the top again.
10. This time click on ‘Print’.
11. Under the ‘Properties’ button on the right, you should see a box checked off for ‘Fit to Page’. If it isn’t checked, click on it!
12. On the left, you’ll see a box asking if you want to print all of the pages, or from page X to page Y. Do a test and print pages from 1 to 3 just to make sure this works.
13. Then click OK and it should start printing.
If Option 1 doesn’t work:
1. Copy and paste the course into Word or Word Perfect. Then you can adjust the margins and print size.
2. Open the chapter download you want to copy.
3. Save it to your computer by clicking on the disk icon. It will be on the left, next to the printer icon.
4. Name the file with the course title and the chapter number.
5. I recommend placing it on your desktop or in a folder on your desktop (like My Documents).
6. Once it has been saved, double click on the file icon to open it.
7. The file will open in Adobe Acrobat.
8. Click on ‘Edit’ in the Menu Bar at the top.
9. Choose ‘Select All’ in the drop down box.
10. This will highlight the entire page.
11. Go back to ‘Edit’ and then choose ‘Copy’.
12. Open your word processing document.
13. Choose ‘Edit’ in the Menu Bar, and ‘Paste’.
14. You should now have the text in a long column down the left side of the page.
15. Highlight the text using your mouse, and choose ‘Format’ from the Menu Bar.
16. Click on ‘Font’ and choose a different font or point size. Most software has font and size options at the top that enable you to easily pick larger font or point sizes.
17. Then Print!
Where can I go for more information?
Click here to Contact Us